Diabetes & Metabolism
This area of medicine focuses on diabetes management, thyroid disorders, glandular problems and obesity. Providers often use diagnostic evaluations based on a variety of symptoms and provide consultation on the management of conditions of deficiency or excess of hormones.
UAP Clinic Medical Office Building, 1429 North 6th Street, Terre Haute, IN 47807
Sullivan County: Sullivan County Community Hospital Specialty Clinic
Vermillion County: West Central Community Hospital Specialty Physicians Clinics
Stephanie Arnold, NP-C
November is National Diabetes Awareness Month: 10 things You May Not Know
UAP Clinic's Stephanie Arnold, NP, Diabetes & Metabolism Department, has provided 10 things you may not know about diabetes:
- 25.8 million Americans have diabetes (or 8.3%) of the population in the Unites States. Of these, 7 million people do not know they have diabetes.
- 79 million adults over age 20 have prediabetes. Prediabetes is a condition where glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.
- Not all adult diabetics are Type 2 diabetics and are often times misdiagnosed.
- Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States.
- 25.6 million Americans have diabetes who are between ages 20-65. This is 11.3% of this age group.
- 10.2% of non-Hispanic whites aged 20 years and older have either diagnosed or undiagnosed diabetes.
- 68% of diabetics will die from cardiovascular disease (heart disease or stroke).
- Diabetes is the leading cause of new cases of blindness among adults aged 20–74 years.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure.
- $245 billion is the total cost annually of diagnosed diabetes in the United States in 2012.
For more information or an appointment with the UAP Clinic Diabetes & Metabolism Department, please call 812.244.5055 or refer to the websites below.
Sources are from American Diabetes Association and NDEP-National Diabetes Education Program: